Saturday, August 25, 2012

Todd Akin "Legitimate Rape"

Everyone can remember about a week ago Todd Akin, the US Representative from MO made a statement that "legitimate rape" does not cause pregnancy b/c the woman's body has a way of shutting down that process. I feel as if I should say something. I've been holding my thoughts in too long and think people, especially women, especially rape victims, should know that his statement is completely ludicrous and hateful in my opinion. If you missed his comments you can find them @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M09iWwKiDsA

The fact is women do get pregnant from being raped, and to say otherwise shows a complete lack of both education and empathy. Doctors he spoke with told him that yes, in fact, rape victims can become pregnant, but its rare. I don't know how he came to the conclusion that women's bodies are biologically incapable of allowing the victim to become pregnant or as he said " “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” Really? Last I checked my ovaries are going to release an egg, and if said egg is fertilized by a sperm it will implant itself into the uterine wall unless I take the "morning after pill" or am on birth control. It's not like the sperm are gonna be like "We're rapist's sperm." How is our egg supposed to know the difference between wanted and unwanted sperm? I mean, really, get a clue. And as for the victims who do end up pregnant? Did their bodies just have a faulty warning system, or maybe, subconsciously, they really wanted it? I mean, if they're dressed a certain way, or flirting, or, God forbid, making out with the guy they wanted it right? The whole no means yes, she was asking for it, she owes me because I took her out to dinner, or any of the number of victim blaming statements aren't victim blaming, right? WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! Rape is rape because it is unwanted sexual contact not because the woman just doesn't know she wants it!!!!! I'm a woman, and I know when I want sex and when I don't. It's not a gray area at all. 
RAINN (http://www.rainn.org/get-information/types-of-sexual-assault/was-it-rape) defines Rape and sexual assault as:


Rape is forced sexual intercourse, including vaginal, anal, or oral penetration. Penetration may be by a body part or an object.
  • Rape victims may be forced through threats or physical means. In about 8 out of 10 rapes, no weapon is used other than physical force. Anyone may be a victim of rape: women, men or children, straight or gay.
Sexual assault is unwanted sexual contact that stops short of rape or attempted rape. This includes sexual touching and fondling. (But, be aware: Some states use this term interchangeably with rape.
Rape also occurs if the victim is asleep or unconscious as they are unable to give consent in these cases. So if a woman gets drunk and blacks out, that is not in any way permission to have sex with her. 

The point? A rape victim is not called a rape victim if she wanted to have sex. Rape isn't even about sex. It's about control. If it was about sex it would never happen, and, if it did, it would only happen to beautiful women. The fact is it happens to all women and some men regardless of race, level of attractiveness, or what the victim is wearing. The elderly, disabled, and children can all be victims, too. During a rape and even afterwards (via nightmares, flashbacks, and PTSD) the perpetrator has complete and total control of his victim. Some victims don't even physically resist either because they're scared or in shock. Coercion and threatening are also forms of rape. As stated previously, if a woman doesn't refuse because she is scared it's still rape. This happens a lot in abusive relationships. The woman doesn't want to have sex but is afraid to say no because of the potential consequences. For example, my ex-fiance forced me into having sexual relations (not intercourse but other sexual acts) by taking one of his swords and stabbing the bed I was lying on when I said I wanted to watch a movie instead of doing anything with him. That would be considered sexual assault. I felt like I had to because I was scared he'd do something to me if I refused again. And yes I still struggle with admitting it was sexual assault. Just like many other women in abusive relationships struggle with the knowledge that their boyfriend/husband/fiance is abusive. I've never been raped so I can't relate on that scale, but I can have empathy for the victims, especially those who end up pregnant from their horrific experience. I do not condone abortion but REFUSE to judge rape or incest victims or women who have to choose b/w their own life and that of their child's if they should choose to have an abortion. I have a very good friend who had an abortion when she got pregnant due to a rape, and I still love and respect her. It does not change my opinion of her. I've never been there, therefore can't judge or even say with any kind of certainty I wouldn't do the same thing. And to those women who have kept and raised a baby they got pregnant with by a rape, I have tons and tons of respect for you. It takes an incredible person to be able to do that.

As for statistics regarding the frequency of pregnancies resulting from rape a published study states :

The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year. 
Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency. It is a cause of many unwanted pregnancies and is closely linked with family and domestic violence.

Things to think about and remember. Sending love and hugs to all rape victims.


XOXO,
Lavender





No comments:

Post a Comment